Internet Shut Down, Bitcoin Mining Offline as Kazakhstan’s Political Crisis Escalates
On today’s episode of “The Breakdown,” NLW provides a basic primer on the escalating political crisis in Kazakhstan. He covers:
- The country’s basic economic overview and modern political history.
- The fuel price increase that started protests on Sunday.
- How protests spread throughout the week and became about a larger set of grievances.
- The country’s dramatic decision to shut down the internet.
- The implications for bitcoin mining.
- Where things stand today.
“The Breakdown ‘’ is written, produced by and features Nathaniel Whittemore aka NLW, with editing by Rob Mitchell and Michele Musso, research by Scott Hill and additional production support by Eleanor Pahl. Adam B. Levine is our executive producer and our theme music is “Countdown” by Neon Beach. The music you heard today behind our sponsor is “Time” by OBOY. Image credit: Mikhail Svetlov/Getty Images Europe, modified by CoinDesk. Join the discussion at discord.gg/VrKRrfKCz8.